Print this page

Student Grievances — Queensland

We hope that your time at the University will be a rewarding and enjoyable one; however, occasionally problems arise and you find that you have a grievance in relation to actions or decisions taken by University staff, including matters involving administration, learning and teaching and breaches of University policy. This includes grievances in relation to unit results. The University has established a set of procedures for dealing with such matters. The steps involved in grievance resolution are set out in the Student Grievance Resolution Policy and are summarised below. However, please note that only academic grievances can be resolved informally.

Please lodge your grievance with the Appointed Officer at TAFE Queensland using the Formal Grievance Form. This form is available in two formats:

  1. Student Formal Grievance Form in PDF format (PDF, 192.61 KB) This form is designed to be completed online, printed out, signed, dated and returned to the Appointed Officer. If you cannot fill out the form online, you can download and complete the RTF version below.
  2. Student Formal Grievance Form in RTF format (RTF, 64.57 KB) If you are using a screen reader, we recommend this format

The TAFE Queensland Appointed Officer can be contacted by emailing

Lodging a Grievance

Step 1 – Informal Resolution (Academic Grievances Only)  In the first instance, you should approach the person closest to the source of the issue to resolve the grievance. You might choose to go and see them face to face, send them an email or perhaps call them by phone. If you are unable to resolve your grievance with them, then you should approach the Head of Discipline next, to seek their assistance in resolving your grievance.

Step 2 – Formal Resolution If your grievance cannot be resolved informally or it relates to an administrative matter, you may submit a formal grievance in writing. Please lodge your grievance with the Appointed Officer at your home institution using the Formal Grievance Form above. The Appointed Officer will ensure that the matter is then referred to the appropriate Faculty Dean or Business Unit Director at the University of Canberra.  

Step 3 – Appeal  If your grievance has not been resolved through the formal process, you may appeal to the Student Appeals Committee. Your appeal must be in writing and must demonstrate grounds for appeal. Appeals should be lodged to the Secretary, Student Appeals Committee who can be contacted by email, A decision by the Student Appeals Committee is the final decision within the University.

Please use one of the following forms to lodge an appeal with the Student Appeals Committee:

  1. Student Appeals Committee - Academic or Administrative Appeal Form  (RTF, 93.87 KB)
  2. Student Appeals Committee - Exclusion Appeal Form (RTF, 106.81 KB)

Step 4 – External Appeal  Finally, if your grievance has not been resolved, you may request the ACT Ombudsman to review the decision of the Student Appeals Committee. More information on this process can be found on the ACT Ombudsman's website.

If a student’s grievance is a discrimination complaint, the student may wish to lodge an appeal to the ACT Human Rights Commission. More information about lodging a complaint is available on the ACT Human Rights Commission website: Make a Discrimination Complaint.

Information, advice and support

Students requiring further information or assistance in relation to the University's student grievance process should approach their Appointed Officer and local student support service for advice.

The University of Canberra Students' Association provides free advice, support and advocacy to all UC students who have a grievance.
Telephone: 1800 UNI HELP (1800 864 4357)