Gowning & University Academic Dress
Gowns can be purchased from the UC Union Shop or from a third party retailer.
The UC Union Shop offers great value on purchasing a grad pack for Bachelors $99.95 and Masters for $109.95. This pack includes a Gown, Mortar Board and hood. For the September 2017 graduation ceremonies, gown hire is not available.
All enquires regarding graduation regalia should be directed to Shop UC on 02 6201 5003 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Academic dress for the University consists of a black cloth academic gown, black mortar board and a black hood lined with silk. The colour of the hood lining distinguishes the level of award.
- Diploma - Black hood with turquoise blue lining
- Degree of Bachelor (3 and 3.5 years) - Black hood with red lining
- Degree of Bachelor (4 years) - Black hood with maroon lining
- Degree of Bachelor (5 and 6 years) - Black hood with pale grey lining
- Standalone Honours Year – Black hood with maroon lining
- Graduate Certificate or Diploma - Black hood with gold lining
- Degree of Master - Royal Blue hood with horizon lining
- Doctor of Philosophy - Royal Blue gown with gold facings, a black bonnet and a royal blue hood with horizon lining
- Doctor of the University - Royal Blue gown with gold facings, a black bonnet and a royal blue hood with gold lining
Please note: Candidates who are being awarded a combined degree may only wear the hood lining colour for one of the single degrees being awarded. For example, a student receiving a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce would wear a 3 year hood while a student receiving a Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Science would wear a 4 year hood. Students will not be permitted to wear the incorrect hood across stage, and the University takes no responsibility for students who choose to purchase their hoods from a third party.
If you are graduating from a Bachelor degree, it is customary to wear the tassel on the left hand side. If you have graduated previously and are graduating from a postgraduate degree, you can wear your tassel on the right hand side.