Elite athletes at UC
We are dedicated to helping our elite athlete students balance their sporting commitments with their academic goals by:
- offering bonus ATAR points
- offering the Elite Athletes Program.
The University of Canberra is a member of the Elite Athlete Friendly University (EAFU) Network and has signed an agreement with the Australian Sports Commission and the Australian Capital Territory Academy of Sport to support the needs of elite student athletes.
If you are a student with us and you are pursuing a sport at an elite level, you may be eligible for the Elite Athlete Program.
To be eligible you need to:
As part of the program you may receive the following:
- a specialised orientation session during Orientation Week
- course advice and academic planning guidance
- advocacy within the university environment
- flexibility for assessment deadlines based on your sporting commitments
- flexibility for attendance at lectures and tutorials (if practical) when you are unavailable due to sporting commitments
- support for cross-institutional studies where applicable
- the ability to tailor your workload to your sporting commitments
- the chance to extend the time you have to complete course work
- the opportunity to take more than one leave of absence to support your sporting commitments.
To apply for the program complete the Elite Athlete Support Program Application, and return with supporting documents. Please note that applicants need to be UC Students.
If you are an elite athlete or sporting coach whose sporting commitments have affected your previous academic performance you may be eligible for 5 bonus ATAR points.
In addition to your university application, you will need to provide our Admissions Office with:
- a letter explaining how your sporting commitments affected your study in years 11 and 12
- a supporting statement from the relevant sporting body and the average hours per week spent training and competing
- your UAC application number.
Go to the apply now page for more information.
Defining elite athletes
The Australian Sports Commission identifies elite athletes as those defined under the EAFU agreement. To be eligible you need to be recognised by one of the following organisations as an "elite athlete or coach":
- Australian Institute of Sport
- AFL Players' Association
- Australian Cricketers' Association
- Rugby Union Players' Association
- Rugby League Professionals' Association
National squad members from Australian Sports Commission funded sports
Senior/head coaches from state and territory institutes/academies of sport, national teams from Australian Sports Commission funded sports or participating professional sports.
The Australian Sports Commission provides a list of elite athletes studying at the University to the Student Welfare Office. If you are not identified you are still welcome to submit an application to the Student Welfare Office for consideration.
Bonus ATAR point enquiries:
University of Canberra Admissions Centre
Phone: 1300 301 727
All other elite athlete queries:
Level B, Student Centre
The University of Canberra, ACT, 2601
Phone: (02) 6206 8841
Fax: (02) 6201 5040