Print this page

Student Welfare

Need Help?

Sometimes you just aren't sure who can help you or where to go. The Welfare Officer can refer you to services at UC or around Canberra, or can just be someone to talk to!

A Student Welfare Officer will be able to support you with a variety of issues including grievances, misconduct, financial difficulties, study problems and anything else you may be worried about.

Contact with the Welfare Office is confidential and free to all students.

How do I see them?

Bookings are available all weekdays to see a Student Welfare Officer. Use the below contact information to make a booking today.

Phone: 02 6206 8841
Location: Student Centre in Building 1 (Please look for 'Welfare and Elite Athletes' on the Q-Flow Machine)

More resources

Talk to your Unit Convener

It's always a good idea to have a chat with your lecturer or Unit Convenor if you have concerns they will have a good idea of where you are up to and how to improve; and as with all things, the sooner this can be done the better. Don't wait until the week before exams to speak up about your worries!

The Welfare Officer is always available to chat if you aren't sure with how to approach an academic concern.

Help in the academic skills centre.

Study Skills

Study Skills has a broad range of workshops and programs on a whole host of topics, including essay writing, referencing, research skills, essay structure, grammar and writing skills and many more. The staff are also on hand for drop ins and appointments to provide guidance and advice on assignments and essays. Their website also has heaps of free resources on study skills, time management and avoiding procrastination!

Location: Library, Level B (Building 8)
Telephone: 6201 2205

Peer-Assisted Learning Sessions (PALS)

PALS are weekly group study sessions designed to support large-cohort first-year units, and are led by Peer Learning Advisors who are students that have successfully completed the units themselves.

For more information on which units are offered for PALS, go to the Study Skills website.

Location: Student Recourse Centre, Building 6, Level B, Rooms 33, 35 & 37

Opening hours: 8:30 am – 10:00 pm, Monday to Friday.

Maths and Stats Help (MASH)

The MASH centre provides drop-in learning support for Mathematics and Statistics for students across the University.

For the updated MASH session timetable please follow the link.

Location: Student Recourse Centre, Building 6, Level B, Room 32

A student feels under pressure.

Feeling down, anxious, out of sorts and stressed can be a normal part of adjusting to life as a student at University.

However if you (or a friend) have been feeling down for 2 weeks or more, you should speak to someone you trust about getting some help. Feeling this way is nothing to be embarrassed about, if you sprained your ankle you would go see a doctor, wouldn't you? Your emotional and mental health can sometimes need help from a doctor too.

It is also really important to remember that if your mental health is affecting your studies the sooner you seek help the sooner academic related support can be provided. The Welfare Officer is available to discuss the supports available and avenues to minimize the impact on your studies.

There is help available!

For depression, anxiety and other mental health concerns, contact:

UC Medical and Counselling Service
General practitioner, Psychology and Coaching Services on UC Bruce Campus
Telephone: (02) 6201 2351

If that seems like a big step – why not come have a chat with the Welfare Officer about how you're feeling? You can talk about what's been going on, how your studies are progressing, and help you decide what is best for you.

Welfare Officer
Telephone: 02 6206 8841

UC Multi-Faith Centre
The UC Multi-faith Centre Chaplaincy offer pastoral care services to all staff and students. The chaplains come from a range of faiths to offer advice and support for a range of issues including homesickness, spiritual questions, and questions about the nature of life and relationships.
Telephone: 02 6201 2351

Headspace ACT
For young people aged 12-25 
Telephone: (02) 6201 5343

Lifeline (24 hours)
Telephone: 13 11 14

The Desk
Provides students with information and skills to help them be relaxed, energised, and connected during their time at university. It empowers them to manage their own problems as they arise.

Has a great range of resources available including factsheets, checklists and lists of support available.
Infoline: 1300 22 4636

No money to spend.

Help! I'm struggling financially and it's really impacting my wellbeing.

Managing finances whilst you are studying can be difficult. It is important you seek assistance before your wellbeing is impacted. The Welfare Officer can assist you to plan a budget and point you in the right direction for maximising your financial security.


Make sure you have applied for all the scholarships you might be eligible for:

Money Smart

MoneySmart has a range of resources including a budget planner, free apps and savings goal calculator.


Have a chat with Centrelink to see if you are eligible for study assistance or rent assistance payments.
Telephone: 13 28 50
Belconnen Branch: Corner Emu Bank and Benjamin Way, Belconnen 2617

Care Inc.

Struggling to get out of debt? Talk with Care Inc. to discuss financial counseling services
Telephone: 1800 007 007

Looking for work?

It is a reality that most students will have to work to support themselves. You will have to decide for yourself how many hours you can work each week with your study schedule.

You can try to work more during holidays and uni breaks, to allow yourself to take time off during exams and busy assignment periods.

The Careers Service can assist you with tips for resumes and selection criteria, even interview skills!

Telephone: 02 6201 2660 

Lawyers ready to give advice.

Free legal advice is available from a number of services in the ACT for a wide range of issues. The main services in particular are:

Legal Aid ACT
A free legal service for all residents of the ACT. Information and referrals are available over the phone, or make an appointment to see a lawyer for a wide variety of referrals and assistance on legal matters.
Helpline: 1300 654 314
General Enquiries: (02) 6243 3411

Legal Aid ACT has a free lawyer at the Student Centre (building 1) on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Please call Legal Aid ACT to make an appointment.

Youth Law Centre ACT
A drop-in legal service for young people aged 12-25. Specialises in issues around employment, fines, debt, discrimination and criminal matters.
T: (02) 6173 5410

See this factsheet from Legal Aid ACT to find a full list of ACT services.

For rent sign.

Looking for somewhere to live?

On Campus

The University of Canberra has several on campus options – for more information and prices, see the Accommodation page. As with private rentals ensure you understand the terms and conditions of your lease prior to signing.

Off Campus

Renting in a share house is a common option for many students. Make sure you understand all the costs involved before signing a lease:

  • Bond (maximum four weeks rent)
  • Rent each month (usually a month in advance)
  • Furniture and appliances – bed, wardrobe, fridge, washing machine, cutlery, pots/pans, utensils, food, cleaning products
  • Utilities and bills
  • Moving/relocation costs
  • Connection fees for phone/gas/electricity
  • Duration of lease and the conditions associated with break the lease.

Having trouble with your accommodation?

Eviction, trouble paying rent, and problems with housemates are all common causes of tenancy problems. Make sure you are getting the best advice by contacting:

UCSA Advocacy Officer
T: 6201 2000

ACT Tenants Union
T: 6247 1026 (Free Advisory Service)

Supportive Tenancy Service
T: 02 6207 2427

Students reach an agreement.We hope your time at UC is all smooth sailing, but if you need information or support around how to proceed with the Student Grievance Resolution Policy, make an appointment to see the Welfare Officer

Student Conflict

Students often experience conflict while at university, and this conflict can negatively impact upon their university experience.  Students are often reluctant to seek help, or do not know where to find support. 

This website provides interactive and engaging resources to help students effectively manage conflict that they may experience during their time at university.  It includes video scenarios such as cross cultural conflict, conflict with lecturers and research supervisors, conflict with classmates and flatmates, group work conflict and conflict at residential colleges.

Welfare Officer
Telephone: 6206 8841

International students are encouraged to contact the International Student Support Service (ISSS) for an appointment with an International Student Advisor.

Alternatively, review the information, forms and process for submitting an appeal or grievance.

Support, advocacy and information is also provided by the University of Canberra Students Representative Counsel (UCSRC) Advocacy Officer.

Advocacy Officer
0439 285 152

Student & Staff Login

Student Login Staff Login