Under 18 Students
The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) requires all international students who will be under 18 years of age when entering Australia on a student visa, to have appropriate accommodation, support and welfare arrangements in place. For broad information about Under-18 student welfare arrangement please visit the DIBP website.
When you apply for a student visa, you will need to provide evidence of one of the following, namely that:
- A parent/legal custodian or relative over 21 years will accompany you as a Student Guardian visa (subclass 590) holder. This person must apply for the Student Guardian visa; or
- You will be living in Australia with a parent/legal custodian or a relative over 21 years. This person must have a visa to remain in Australia for the duration of your student visa or until you turn 18; or
- The University has approved your care arrangements and hence issued a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) letter.
In all instances, applicants to the University must complete the Welfare Arrangement Form for Under-18 Students before a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) can be issued. This form is provided to applicants when they receive a letter of offer.
The University of Canberra will only issue a CAAW letter where the applicant has provided evidence of making guardianship and accommodation arrangements through both:
- The ISA Guardian and Welfare Service, which provides guardianship to students under the age of 18 who may not have any relatives in Australia. Further information on this service and how to apply can be found at www.studentguardians.com.
- The Australian Homestay Network (AHN). See www.homestaynetwork.org/ for more information and to register.
Applicants are not required to finalise these arrangements until they are directed to accept an offer to the University of Canberra. Applicants who have received a Provisional Offer cannot accept their offer until they have passed the University’s Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) assessment.