The Australian Government wants to ensure that the rights of overseas students studying in Australia are protected. Australia has laws to promote quality education and consumer protection for our overseas students. Together these laws are known as the ESOS Framework and they include:
- The Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000
- The Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Regulations 2001
- National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2017 – these standards set out the obligations on registered providers in delivering education and training to overseas students
To access the above three ESOS Framework legislations, please refer to the Federal Register of Legislation's website.
The University of Canberra's International Student Fee Policy outlines sets out the University of Canberra's requirements for charging, collecting and refunding international student fees.
The University's policy database sets out the key documents for grounds and procedure for students' change in enrolment status, fees issues, general and academic conduct and course progress. The University is required to report international students who are in breach of their student visa conditions.
UC's Student Central, located in Building 1 is your 'one-stop-shop' for guidance on international administrative matters.
All students are required to comply with the University's relevant policies and procedures. If you hold a student visa, you should also be aware of the following:
- You are required to finish your studies by the end date on your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). The University can only extend the enrolment of your course if you have reasonable grounds.
- You must hold a valid visa at all times in Australia. Remember to renew your visa if it is about to expire.
- You must adhere to the conditions of your student visa, including those related to work limitations, health insurance requirements, course progress and notifying the University of any changes to your address and contact details.