Student Safety - General Information
For information and tips about on-campus safety, please read our Safety on Campus page. Please note that in the case of emergencies or critical incidents on campus please contact UC Security immediately on 6201 2222 (or extension 2222 from a campus phone).
When you are out and about, particularly at night, it is important to be alert and aware of your personal safety. In particular:
- Think ahead: consider how you are going to get home (e.g. taxi, friend, etc)
- Try to remain with friends at all times
- If you are going somewhere alone, ensure some is aware of your movements
- Make sure you carry your mobile phone at all times in case of emergencies.
- Be wary of casual requests from strangers, like someone asking for a cigarette or money - they could have ulterior motives.
- Try not to carry your wallet or valuables in a way that might attract the attention of others.
- Be alert to your surroundings and the people around you, especially if you are alone or it is dark
- Stay in well-lit areas as much as possible
- Walk confidently and at a steady pace
- Make eye contact with people when walking - let them know that you have noticed their presence
- Do not respond to conversation from strangers on the street or in a car - continue walking
- When going to your car or home, have your keys in your hand and easily accessible
- Consider carrying a personal attack alarm
- Ensure that key contact information such as police and security are either in your mobile phone or in your purse/wallet.