Print this page

Study Load Variation

International students who are studying in Australia on a student visa are required to complete their course by the end date reflected on their Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).

This generally requires a student to enrol in 12 credit points per Semester or Term.

If you have compassionate or compelling circumstances that require you to study less than 12 credit points in a compulsory teaching period, you must apply for a study load variation. Your request will be assessed by the International Student Support Service.

You cannot study less than a standard load until your application has been approved.

To apply, you must submit an online Application for Study Load Variation form.

For detailed information on whether you should apply for a study load variation, please see the information below.

Students can only apply for reduced study load where there are compassionate or compelling circumstances that are supported with appropriate documentation. These include, but are not limited to:

  • an illness, injury, bereavement, or other traumatic experience impacts your ability to study a full time study load (must provide evidence of condition and adjustment letter from Inclusion and Engagement which confirms that your condition means that you must take a requested study load)
  • the course structure, unit availability or pre-requisite(s) not met; due to which full load cannot be taken (must provide study plan approved from your Faculty)
  • that you are currently on probation or on an Intervention Strategy and reduced study load recommended by the International Student Support Service (must provide evidence of Intervention Strategy)

Note: a signed study plan or previous failures do not constitute approval for reduced study load.

Students may have the option of enrolling in one or more units in the Winter Term or Summer Semester depending on availability. This allows a student to study less than 12 credit points in a particular semester. If you are planning on doing this, you must first consult your Faculty to confirm that the units you wish to study in the Winter Term or Summer Semester are available.

You do not need to apply for reduced load variation, if you:

  • are in your final semester or term of study and studying less than 12 credit points; or
  • have an agreed study plan to spread your study load across the year (UC course work students only)

International student visa holders must not exceed 25% of enrolment via online or distance learning, and must always be enrolled in at least one on-campus unit each compulsory study Semester or Term.