Print this page

Extending your CoE and student visa

If you are an international student who needs to extend your student visa (or wishes to apply for a student visa and currently hold an alternate Australian visa - e.g. diplomatic or temporary etc.) to complete your study in Australia, you will need to apply for a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) extension.

To apply for a CoE extension you must:

  • complete the online Application for Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for Student Visa Application Extensions
  • attach proof of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your visa. Your OSHC should be valid for approximately 3 months after your expected course end date (until the 31 August for those students completing in Semester 1, and the 31 March for students completing at the end of Semester 2 of a respective year)
  • attach an approved study plan from your Faculty
  • enrol into the units stated on your approved study plan in the current or upcoming Semester or Term

In addition to that outlined above, Higher Degree by Research (HDR) students will also need to attach a Intention to Submit Thesis for Examination form confirming your new completion date.

Acceptable reasons for requesting a CoE extension are:

  • intervention strategy in place
  • approved intermission
  • change of course
  • changing to a student visa
  • compassionate or compelling circumstances
  • previous failures
  • course structure (e.g. pre-requisite units not available)
  • require extra time to complete thesis for submission and examination

You may apply to extend your student visa within 4 (four) months of your current student visa expiring. It is important to be aware of the expiry date of your student visa, and that you must apply for a new visa before your current visa expires.

The International Student Support Service (ISSS) encourages all students to apply for a new visa onshore, i.e. in Australia. Applying offshore may result in delays and prevent you from returning to Australia in time to recommence your studies.

A student visa application can be lodged online via your ImmiAccount. Further information about applying for a new student visa can be found on DIBP's website.

Student & Staff Login

Student Login Staff Login