Supporting supervisors of graduate researchers
Supervisors play an important role in ensuring successful and positive research experiences of higher degree or graduate researchers. This is recognised in the Higher Degree by Research Supervision Policy and through a flexible professional development program including online modules and face to face workshops.
Professional development online
Offered through Canvas (Supervising Research Students), these modules aim to support supervisory practice, as well as to inform supervisors about current policy and practice in place at UC. Supervisors are required to complete the modules as part of the registration process.
Face-to-face professional development
Face-to-face sessions are offered throughout the year. For more information about the supervisor development program contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The supervisor register
University of Canberra maintains a register of graduate researcher supervisors.
Staff members wishing to supervise a graduate researcher at masters or doctoral level will need to register.
Eligibility criteria include:
- Have a doctoral research degree. Staff with substantial industry or professional research experience, deemed equivalent to a PhD qualification, may qualify if approval is given by the Associate Dean Research (ADR). Masters by Research qualified academics are eligible to supervise Masters by Research candidates.
- Being actively involved in research.
- Have an ongoing appointment with the University (includes adjunct and emeritus staff).
- Have completed the online training on Supervising Research Students (SRS) and Research Integrity
Staff can self-enrol in the Research Integrity modules (https://uclearn.canberra.edu.au/enroll/NPKDRB) and the Supervising Research Students modules (https://uclearn.canberra.edu.au/enroll/GABEKE) to complete the training.
To register as a supervisor staff must also complete the Application for Internal Supervisor Registration form. The form needs to be approved by the Faculty Associate Dean Research and sent with supporting documentation (CV, testamur/transcript) as an email attachment to email@example.com. The paperwork is processed by Researcher Development. Once the paperwork has been processed, a confirmatory email will be sent.
Upon registration supervisors will also be:
- added to the list of registered supervisors
- added to an email distribution list used to send out relevant information
UC staff members who leave the University during the candidature of a Higher Degree by Research candidate may remain on the supervisory panel if approved and managed by the faculty. External supervisors are not permitted to supervise as primary supervisor.
Non-University of Canberra staff members as supervisors
Non-University of Canberra staff members can become involved in the supervising of graduate researchers. The Faculty is to facilitate the registration process for external supervisors. This requires the completion of the Application for External Supervisor Registration form (approved by Faculty Associate Dean Research) and a CV to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following conditions apply to external supervisors:
- An external supervisor may not act as a primary supervisor.
- An external supervisor may act as a secondary supervisor only if registered.
- An external supervisor may act as an advisor without being registered.
More information on the process is available from the Higher Degree by Research Supervision Policy.