Supporting supervisors of graduate researchers
Supervisors play an important role in ensuring successful and positive research experiences of higher degree or graduate researchers. This is recognised in the Supervision of Higher Degree Candidates by Research Policy and Procedures and through a flexible professional development program including online modules and face to face workshops.
Professional development online
Offered through Moodle (Supervising Research Students), these modules aim to support supervisory practice, as well as to inform supervisors about current policy and practice in place at UC. Registered supervisors are automatically given access to the Moodle site.
Generic modules (not UC specific) targeting supervisors of researchers at honours or undergraduate level are also available through Moodle: Supervising Projects and Dissertations
Face to face professional development
To access information and register to face to face sessions
The supervisor register
University of Canberra maintains a register of graduate researcher supervisors.
Staff members wishing to supervise a graduate researcher at masters or doctoral level will need to register.
Eligibility criteria include:
- Have a doctoral research degree. Staff with substantial industry or professional research experience, deemed equivalent to a PhD qualification, may qualify if approval is given by the Associate Dean Research (ADR). Masters by Research qualified academics are eligible to supervise Masters by Research candidates.
- Being actively involved in research.
- Have an ongoing appointment with the University (includes adjunct and emeritus staff).
- Have completed professional development on the supervision of Higher Degree Researchers and Research Integrity (for access to the Supervising Research Students modules and Research Integrity training contact GraduateResearch@canberra.edu.au)
Staff wishing to be supervise should download and complete an Application for Supervisor Registration form. The form needs to be sent as an email attachment to GraduateResearch@canberra.edu.au. The paperwork is processed by Graduate Research, responsible for managing the supervisor register. Once the paperwork has been processed, a confirmatory email will be sent. The registration process normally takes between 1 and 7 days.
Upon registration supervisors will also be:
- added to the list of registered supervisors
- added to an email distribution list used to send out relevant information
UC staff members who leave the University during the candidature of a Higher Degree by Research candidate may remain on the supervisory panel if approved and managed by the Faculty/Research Institute. External supervisors are not permitted to supervise as primary supervisor.
Non-University of Canberra staff members as supervisors
Non-University of Canberra staff members can become involved in the supervising of graduate researchers. The Faculty/University Research Institute is to facilitate the registration process for external supervisors. This requires sending a CV to GraduateResearch@canberra.edu.au. Graduate Research will then add the recommended expert to the list of registered supervisor as an external supervisor.
The following conditions apply to external supervisors:
- An external supervisor may not act as a primary supervisor.
- An external supervisor may act as a secondary supervisor only if registered.
- An external supervisor may act as an advisor without being registered.
More information on the process is available from the Supervisor of Higher Degree Candidates policy.