Health and Biotechnology Law (9997.1)
|Level:||Undergraduate Third Year Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||School of Law & Justice|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Winter Term, 2016, INTENSIVE, BRUCE (156203) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
Health and Biotechnology Law will examine the law regulating the provision of health care in Australia and some of the ethical issues underpinning medical research and new developments in medical and biotechnology.
The unit will be co-taught with 9998 Health and Biotechnology Law PG.
Topics include: Healthcare as a Human Right; Governance of Healthcare Provision; Assisted Reproduction, Surrogacy, and Abortion; Organ Donation; Property Rights (Real and Intellectual) In Humans; End of Life Issues, including Euthanasia; Medical Negligence; Medical Trespass; Consent and Capacity; Genetic Testing and Privacy; Stem Cells, Cloning, and Therapeutic Genetic Engineering; Medical Confidentiality; Research Ethics; and Consumer Protection.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate understanding of the basic principles of Australian health law, under the Federal and State statutory and common law frameworks, and the accompanying ethical guidance;
2. Demonstrate understanding of the historical development of health and biotechnology law, including the social, ethical, and technological drivers of change, including statutory reform processes; and
3. Demonstrate ability to critically analyse problems in health and biotechnology law, apply legal problem solving strategies, and research, develop and express logical and persuasive arguments for law reform.
30 hours plus online engagement - 6 hours.
6602 Legal Systems;
6601 Legal Methods and Skills;
7042 Law of Obligations AND
Completion of 18 Credit Points.
- 944AA Bachelor of Applied Economics/Bachelor of Laws
- 821AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 238JA Bachelor of Australian Politics and Public Policy/Bachelor of Laws
- 810AA Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws
- 225JA Bachelor of Communication in Advertising/Bachelor of Laws
- 227JA Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs/Bachelor of Laws
- 194JA Bachelor of Forensic Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 240JA Bachelor of Human Resource Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 794AA Bachelor of Laws
- 829AA Bachelor of Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 149JA Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Laws
- 833AA Bachelor of Science in Psychology/Bachelor of Laws
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 241JA Bachelor of Social Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 837AA Bachelor of Sports Media/Bachelor of Laws