Design Studio 4 (9977.3)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Design and the Built Environment|
UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 2 Mr Tom JAMES (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 MS Gay WILLIAMSON (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (190844) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (178451) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (178452) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (164884) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (162528) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (162529) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This studio unit explores design as a process that draws on precedent, creativity, tectonics and environment. The unit includes understanding of the integration of theory, spatial concepts and planning, structure and systems, material and detail in formulating design responses. Projects are used to explore spatial sequence and transition, circulation and movement, site and context, scale, form and construction, art in public places. Sustainable design is studied and integrated into the studio projects. Ethics related to design is introduced. Students undertake projects in a studio environment working individually and in teams.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Understand critical spatial, environmental concepts and the value of site and context to design;
2. Communicate design solutions through visualisation, digital media, and prototypes/models;
3. Appreciate theory and precedent as design determinants;
4. Understand sustainable design and passive technologies;
5. Understand the integral relationship between design, structure and detail;
6. Exercise critical judgement in relation to their own and others' work;
7. Demonstrate high level communication and presentation skills; and
8. Demonstrate an awareness of ethics in design.
Up to 3 hours per week
9976 Design Studio 3
8970 Studio 4