Philosophy of Education (9892.1)
|Level:||Undergraduate Second Year Level|
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education, Science, Technology & Maths|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182643) - View
- Winter Term, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (173848) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165672) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (149448) - View
To locate a Unit Outline for a Unit prior to 2015 click here.
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit introduces students to the philosophy and history of education. Building upon the disciplinary basis of philosophy the unit explores philosophy as it relates to education. Additionally the unit positions philosophy within various historical contexts and uses historical thinking tools to engage with philosophical thinking tools. The unit introduces students to a wide range of philosophers and a wide range of philosophical schools of thought as they relate to education. In this unit students learn to think as a philosopher and apply this thinking to contemporary educational issues.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of key concepts in philosophy;
2. Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of key concepts in the philosophy of education;
3. Demonstrated capacity to critically analyse problems;
4. Develop sophisticated arguments using academic evidence; and
5. Communicate ideas effectively.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Winter Term, 2017
- Semester 1, 2017
- Semester 1, 2016
1 hour lecture and 2 x 1 hour tutorials per week.