The Practice (PCK) of Teaching Humanities and Social Sciences (9891.1)
|Level:||Undergraduate Third Year Level|
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education, Science, Technology & Maths|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2017 Semester 1 DR Maya GUNAWARDENA (Ph: +61 2 62015174 ) ON-CAMPUS 2017 Winter Term DR Maya GUNAWARDENA (Ph: +61 2 62015174 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Winter Term, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (174092) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165632) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (149434) - View
To locate a Unit Outline for a Unit prior to 2015 click here.
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit introduces Pre-Service Primary Teachers to the theoretical and practical base for teaching the learning area known as the Humanities and Social Sciences. Pre-Service Primary Teachers will explore the historical and contemporary nature of the learning area through central concepts that provide a unique way in which to view and interrogate the world. The unit will provide Pre-Service Primary Teachers with opportunities to analyse ways of structuring and resourcing learning experiences in order to progress each child's social and environmental learning. It will assist Pre-Service Primary Teachers to reflect on their own perceptions and experiences of the learning area and to constantly question the basis of their judgements as they become familiar with their responsibility to provide their future students with opportunities to become active and informed citizens.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Critically interrogate curriculum documents and research studies to identify and interpret Humanities and Social Sciences concepts of disciplinary thinking and discipline-specific inquiry dispositions;
2. Employ knowledge of local/global issues to design quality Humanities and Social Sciences learning experiences for primary children that encourage active and informed citizenship; and
3. Locate, appraise and select a range of sources (primary, secondary, digital) to remix and/or create resources that support the design of quality learning experiences in the Humanities and Social Sciences
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Winter Term, 2017
- Semester 1, 2017
- Semester 1, 2016
3 hours per week.
Must have completed 24 credit points (unless in 325JA Grad Entry).
First two years of Bachelor of Education.