Issues in Literacy Development and Teaching (9880.1)
|Level:||Undergraduate Fourth Year Level|
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education, Science, Technology & Maths|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2017 Semester 1 Ms Kirsty STEWART (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS 2017 Winter Term Ms Kirsty STEWART (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Winter Term, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (174091) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (149373) - View
To locate a Unit Outline for a Unit prior to 2015 click here.
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit furthers students' knowledge of childrens language and literacy development, the importance of childrens literature, and use of critical and multi-literacies across the curriculum. Students will have opportunities to explore, design, use and evaluate different ways to deal with children including Indigenous and EAL/D (English as an additional language or dialect) learners, with specific language and literacy needs. Students will also examine and develop literacy programming alternatives for different student groups and school-based settings.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Understand the role and value of language and literacy across the curriculum, ICT use, and of childrens literature and multi-literacies in prior-to school and school (K-6) contexts;
2. Grasp the ways to deal with specific language and literacy needs of all learners, including those from Indigenous backgrounds or who have EAL/D (English as an additional language or dialect);
3. Demonstrate the ability to examine, evaluate and develop different types of unit plans for student groups from prior-to-school and school-based settings; and
4. Communicate, interpersonal and organisation skills.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Winter Term, 2017
- Semester 1, 2017
1 hour weekly interactive lecture, plus 2 hour weekly tutorial/workshop and on-line activity OR 3 hour weekly tutorial/workshop and on-line activity.
9886 The Practice (PCK) of Teaching English.