Food, Health and Environment (9631.1)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Nutrition and Dietetics|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 2 PROF Shawn SOMERSET (Ph: +61 2 62015380 ) FLEXIBLE 2020 Semester 2 PROF Shawn SOMERSET (Ph: +61 2 62015380 ) FLEXIBLE
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (188465) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (180261) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (164437) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (151537) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (140080) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit examines food systems and their interaction with the physical environment. It will focus on the sustainability of food systems by examining what we consume and how it affects the environment. The focus will include driving and limiting factors of a food system, how food systems have changed, the influences and consequences of this change. Public health nutrition issues relating to the changing food supply will be explored.
This unit is co-taught with unit 8381 Food, Health and Environment.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Outline the different food systems used in the past and present, including factors that drive and limit them;
2. Discuss sustainability of the environment, comparing and contrasting the strengths and limitations of different food systems;
3. Analyse the role of consumers and retailing on food systems and food choice;
4. Discuss the public health nutrition issues related to the changing food supply; and
5. Evaluate alternative or complementary approaches to current food systems to increase sustainability.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2019
- Semester 2, 2018
- Semester 2, 2017
- Semester 2, 2016
- Semester 2, 2015
4 hours per week.
9280 Introductory Nutrition