Study of Language (9498.3)
|Level:||Undergraduate First Year Level|
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182722) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (166180) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (157521) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (139643) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This subject is intended as a general introduction to the study of speech sound (phonetics) and grammar. The phonetic component of the course includes an introduction to the description of speech sounds and the phonetic alphabet, with practical exercises in transcription. After examining the structure of words, we go on to basic sentence structure. Finally, we consider the relation between language and mind.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Have an understanding of the nature of human language;
2. Have a basic knowledge of the four sub-fields of linguistics;
3. Have an awareness of the relevance of linguistics to language teaching and learning; and
4. Have an ability to analyse language materials.
3 hours per week.
Study of Language, 6166.
Study of Language, 6166.
- 986AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 987AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Journalism
- 988AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 989AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Public Relations
- 793AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies
- 825AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Tourism Management
- 798AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce
- 125JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies
- 216JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 217JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 218JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 219JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 799AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 802AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Management
- 804AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 211JA Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 212JA Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 213JA Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 214JA Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 207JA Bachelor of Design/Bachelor of Landscape Architecture
- 203JA Bachelor of Education
- 164JA Bachelor of Graphic Design
- 220JA Bachelor of Graphic Design/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 985AA Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 165JA Diploma of International Studies
- 165JB Diploma of International Studies (Extended)
- MJ0038 Major in English Language and Literature
- MJ0079 Major in Language Studies
- MJ0120 Major in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- MN0107 Minor in Arts Foundation
- MN0030 Minor in English Language and Literature
- MN0105 Minor in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)