Poetry and the Imagination (9308.2)
|Level:||Undergraduate Third Year Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Creative and Cultural Practice|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (178628) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (162202) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit focuses on poetic composition. The first half of the lectures will be largely conceptual, drawing extensively on audio and visual materials from both poetry and the other performative arts. What, we shall ask, is a poetic act? The second half of the lectures will attend to the music of poetry. Both halves are intended to provide students with the tools to advance their own compositional practice. Students will be given a weekly list of contemporary and twentieth century poems drawn from across the English-speaking world, which they are expected to immerse themselves in prior to the tutorials. Tutorials will provide a space in which students can work upon and present their own compositions. They will also serve as a recital space; every student will be expected to memorise one of the set poems and to recite it to the group.
On completion of this subject students will be able to:
1. read poetry with enjoyment;
2. judge critically the value of the poems they come to read in the future;
3. aware of the radical gulf between poetry and prose and will have some theories as to its nature;
4. produce at least one poem that they are happy to show to others; and
5. recite off-by-heart one of the last century's most celebrated poems.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2018
- Semester 2, 2016
Three hours per week.
Restrictions: This unit is not open to students who have passed 6881 Poetry and the Imagination.
6881 Poetry and the Imagination
- 986AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 987AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Journalism
- 988AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 989AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Public Relations
- 798AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce
- 125JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies
- 216JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 217JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 218JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 219JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 799AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 802AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Management
- 804AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 203JA Bachelor of Education
- 205JA Bachelor of Educational Studies
- 320JA Bachelor of Journalism
- 984AA Bachelor of Writing