Journalism and Society (9303.3)
|Level:||Undergraduate Second Year Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Communication and Media|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (176450) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165244) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (154953) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (136610) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit provides a framework for students to understand the role played by journalists in a democratic society, and shows how that role can differ in societies with other forms of government. The syllabus begins by providing a framework of ethics for individual practitioners, examining a range of approaches to journalism ethics and showing how they can be applied in practice. Issues such as dealing with sources, invading people?s privacy and covering traumatic events are covered. The syllabus moves on to locate the individual practitioner in the workplace and examine a range of issues arising for practitioners, whether by being part of a large media company or as a sole practitioner in a small start-up. New and emerging approaches to journalism practice are examined.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Understand the important role performed by journalists in a democratic society, and how that role has developed;
2. Understand the ethical principles that underpin journalism and how they are applied in practice;
3. Examine the issues that arise for journalists in their workplace, whether in a large media company or a small start-up;
4. Appreciate how the role and practice of journalism is changing; and
5. Examine new and emerging approaches to the practice of journalism.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2018
- Semester 1, 2017
3 hours per week
Must have passed Reporting, 5572 OR Mobile Reporting, 9923.
Units in first year of the Bachelor of Communication (Journalism).
- 222JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 369JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Journalism
- 217JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 229JA Bachelor of Australian Politics and Public Policy/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 232JA Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 212JA Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 226JA Bachelor of Communication in Journalism/Bachelor of Laws
- 320JA Bachelor of Journalism
- 236JA Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 242JA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 689AA Bachelor of Sports Media
- 837AA Bachelor of Sports Media/Bachelor of Laws