Literary Studies: Reading the City (9174.2)
|Level:||Undergraduate Third Year Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Creative and Cultural Practice|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2017 Winter Term MR Shane STRANGE (Ph: +61 2 62012597 ) INTENSIVE
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Winter Term, 2017, INTENSIVE, BRUCE (164732) - View
- Winter Term, 2016, INTENSIVE, BRUCE (161859) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (154556) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (146160) - View
To locate a Unit Outline for a Unit prior to 2015 click here.
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit encourages students to think more closely about urban environments and the cultural, artistic, historical and political formations that are the consequence of and have interacted with notions of 'the city'. These will be explored through cultural practices such as cinema, literature, poetry, graffiti, photography, music, advertising etc. Students will be asked to represent their understanding by using traditional academic forms of writing but also non-traditional forms of representation (visual media, sound, image production etc.) The unit sees students exploring the city and documenting their explorations in ways that show their own development of a sense of place and locale.
PLEASE NOTE: The Winter Term offering of this unit is only available for students attending the field trip abroad.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate their understanding of different concepts of the city;
2. Represent a sense of place using written and/or other forms; and
3. Critically reflect on representations of place.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Winter Term, 2017
- Winter Term, 2016
3 hours per week
Restrictions: This unit is not open to students who have passed 8543 Representing the City
8543 Representing the City
- 986AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 987AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Journalism
- 988AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 989AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Public Relations
- 992AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 798AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce
- 125JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies
- 216JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 217JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 218JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 219JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 799AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 802AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Management
- 804AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 111JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Arts
- 998AA Bachelor of Information Technology / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 985AA Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 327JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Arts
- 984AA Bachelor of Writing