Social Research PG (9111.4)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 1 DR Stephen OWEN (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS 2019 Semester 1 DR Stephen OWEN (Ph: ) ONLINE 2020 Semester 1 DR Jee Young LEE (Ph: ) ONLINE 2020 Semester 1 DR Jee Young LEE (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2019, ONLINE, BRUCE (191055) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (191054) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ONLINE, BRUCE (176379) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (176378) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ONLINE, BRUCE (165336) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165335) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (154917) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ONLINE, BRUCE (146169) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (146304) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
The unit critically examines of underlying assumptions of theory and the relationship to methodology within social research. The unit explores the application and limitation of quantitative and qualitative social science approaches. The unit is designed to equip students with an understanding of the main research approaches and methodologies in order to conduct social research.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the main characteristics of quantitative, qualitative and mixed-models of social research applied to social research;
2. Acquire an appreciation of key research studies in social scientific research;
3. Be able to critically analyse published social journals, government publications and professional practice;
4. Appreciate the social, cultural and political contexts of social research in professional practice;
5. Apply appropriate theories and methodologies to identify communication problem-solving processes, and implement and evaluate research based social scientific methodologies; and
6. Develop a high-level awareness of the constraints on ethical professional practice in the area of research.
3 hours per week.
Restrictions: This unit is not open to students who has passed 8624 Strategic Communication Research PG
8624 Strategic Communication Research PG