Design Thinking for Learning Environments PG (9093.2)
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education, Science, Technology & Maths|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Winter Term, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (173649) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165794) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (151407) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (154298) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (139819) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (147654) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit explores the application of design thinking in learning environments. A design disposition is responsive to 21st century affordances and expectations, across all manner of professionals and students. Students will apply the design process to a real world problem. A design approach is interdisciplinary, iterative and human-centred in nature, directing knowledge towards practical outcomes. Students will engage in ideation, conceptualisation and rapid prototyping techniques. Students will also be introduced to, and develop, design literacies. Design literacies enable people to use, repurpose, transform, and create with communicative materials in innovative and critically-aware ways.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate understanding of how design thinking processes can be used to actively engage learners;
2. Draw upon international literature to evaluate the potential and limitations of design thinking in relation to learning environments;
3. Apply design thinking processes towards defining and solving an actual problem within a professional context;
4. Demonstrate critical thinking skills through design questioning processes; and
5. Demonstrate awareness of design literacy as situated, contingent and responsive to changing environments.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Winter Term, 2017
- Semester 1, 2017
- Semester 2, 2016
- Semester 1, 2016
- Semester 2, 2015
- Semester 1, 2015
2 hours week (average) or equivalent