Criminal Process (9015.2)
|Level:||Undergraduate First Year Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||School of Law & Justice|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2018 Semester 2 MS Anya AIDMAN (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (167499) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (151371) - View
To locate a Unit Outline for a Unit prior to 2015 click here.
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is concerned with the role of criminal law in the regulation of social order and the administration of the criminal justice sector.
It provides an introductory understanding of criminal law and criminal processes. Students will gain a basic understanding of the principles of criminal law, including the principles of criminal responsibility and the processes used to prosecute a criminal charge and the criminal justice system actors involved.
Students will gain an awareness of the most common criminal law problems and how criminal cases are processed.
The unit will discuss the intersection of criminal law with civil law remedies.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Describe the scope, nature and content of criminal law in the Australian legal system;
2. Identify and apply the basic principles of the criminal law;
3. Explain the role that the criminal law plays in social regulation;
4. Describe the roles played by justice sector actors in administering the criminal justice system; and
5. Identify the different pathways that exist for the disposal of criminal cases.
2 - 3 hours per week.
6602 Legal Systems or equivalent.
Basic understanding of the Australian legal system.
7025 Criminal Law and Procedure
- 247JA Associate Degree of Justice Studies
- 107JA Associate Degree of Social Science in Justice Studies
- 986AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 987AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Journalism
- 988AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 989AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Public Relations
- 798AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce
- 125JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies
- 216JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 217JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 218JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 219JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 799AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 802AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Management
- 804AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 762HG Bachelor of Commerce
- 111JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Arts
- 248HG Bachelor of Justice Studies
- 248JA Bachelor of Justice Studies
- 249JA Bachelor of Justice Studies/Bachelor of Forensic Studies
- 327JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Arts
- 949AA Bachelor of Social Science in Justice Studies
- 195JA Bachelor of Social Science in Justice Studies/Bachelor of Forensic Studies
- 151JA Bachelor of Social and Community Studies/Bachelor of Social Science in Justice Studies
- 200JA Diploma of Justice Studies