Studio 5 (8971.2)
|Level:||Undergraduate Third Year Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Design & Architecture|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (146050) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This studio unit examines design as a process of articulation and refinement informed by theory, strategy and judgement.
Design studios address social spaces and associated structures that provide education, leisure, convenience, rest, recuperation, indulgence and competition. Symbolism and meaning in design precedent, contextual and cultural parameters where environmental and social sustainability are investigated.
Students respond to real clients, analyse complex program requirements, develop design briefs and formulate detailed schematic responses. Regulation and other statutory influences on design are introduced.
Students undertake projects in a studio environment.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. develop design solutions that effectively integrate knowledge and design project conditions;
2. understand the client, contextual and cultural parameters including usage patterns and sustainability;
3. analyse and organise complex client briefs;
4. articulate and present design ideas coherently;
5. develop design strategies;
6. understand how regulations and other statutory processes influence design.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 1, 2015
On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- 4 x Iterative Development Projects (interior architecture) ( 20 )
- Interim Review (interior architecture) ( 40 )
- Final Review (interior architecture) ( 40 )
- P1 Task Clarification (Industrial design) ( 10 )
- P2 Concept (industrial design) ( 10 )
- P1 Concepts & Refine (industrial design) ( 10 )
- P2 Final Submission ( 30 )
- P1 Final Submission (industrial design) ( 40 )
- Pattern and Place The Wicked Problem (Landscape Architecture) ( 20 )
- Opportunities and Constraints; Design Principles and concepts (Landscape Architecture) ( 30 )
- Preliminary Designs Placement (Landscpae Architecture) ( 50 )
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 1, 2015
6 hours per week
Must pass (1) unit: 8970 Studio 4 or
8284 Design Studio 2.2 (Interior Architecture) or
8743 Design Studio 2.2 (Landscape Architecture) or
8328 Design Studio 2.2 (Industrial Design).
8329 Design Studio 3.2 (Industrial Design)
8286 Design Studio 3.2 (Interior Architecture)
8267 Design Studio 3.2 (Landscape Architecture)
8329 Design Studio 3.2 (Industrial Design) 8286 Design Studio 3.2 (Interior Architecture) 8267 Design Studio 3.2 (Landscape Architecture)