Studio 4 (8970.2)
|Level:||Undergraduate Second Year Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Design & Architecture|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (139532) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This studio unit explores design as a process that draws on precedent, creativity, tectonics and environment.
The unit includes understanding of the integration of theory, spatial concepts and planning, structure and systems, material and detail in formulating design responses.
Projects are used to explore spatial sequence and transition, circulation and movement, site and context, scale, form and construction, art in public places. Sustainable design is studied and integrated into the studio projects.
Ethics related to design is introduced. Students undertake projects in a studio environment working individually and in teams.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. understand critical spatial, environmental concepts and the value of site and context to design;
2. communicate design solutions through visualisation, digital media, and prototypes/models;
3. appreciate theory and precedent as design determinants;
4. understand sustainable design and passive technologies;
5. understand the integral relationship between design, structure and detail;
6. exercise critical judgement in relation to their own and others' work;
7. demonstrate high level communication and presentation skills;
8. demonstrate an awareness of ethics in design.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 2, 2015
On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- INTERIOR ARCHITECTURE Project 01: S (35% )
- INTERIOR ARCHITECTURE Project 02: M (35% )
- INTERIOR ARCHITECTURE Project 03: L (30% )
- LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE Class Discussion and Exercises set Weeks 1 and 6 (20% (Each Exercise is worth 10%) )
- LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE Project 1 Analysis- Distilling the Issues and Identifying the Outcomes (20% total (5% for verbal presentation and 10% for structure of the issues and priorities, 5% for role play as Stakeholders) )
- LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE Project 3 Site Design (30% total (10% interim submission and 15% for Final Submission and 5% for Verbal Presentation.) )
- INDUSTRIAL DESIGN Design Project 01 ‘Reflecting Light’ (20% )
- INDUSTRIAL DESIGN Design Project 02 ‘Sport-Team Hydration System’ (50% )
- INDUSTRIAL DESIGN Design Project 03 (CAD) (30% )
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 2, 2015
6 hours per week
Must pass (1) unit: 8969 Studio 3 or
8283 Design Studio 2.1 (Interior Architecture) or
8718 Design Studio 2.1 (Landscape Architecture) or
8315 Design Studio 2.1 (Industrial Design).
8316 Design Studio 3.1 (Industrial Design)
8285 Design Studio 3.1 (Interior Architecture)
8719 Design Studio 3.1 (Landscape Architecture)
8316 Design Studio 3.1 (Industrial Design) 8285 Design Studio 3.1 (Interior Architecture) 8719 Design Studio 3.1 (Landscape Architecture)