Civil Justice (8896.2)
|Level:||Undergraduate First Year Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||School of Law & Justice|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2018 Semester 2 MS Alexandra OTEVREL (Ph: +61 2 62015643 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (167724) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (152008) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (140825) - View
To locate a Unit Outline for a Unit prior to 2015 click here.
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is concerned with the enforcement of private rights created by civil law. In this unit, students will gain a basic understanding of the principles of contract law, including the nature of contract and the elements essential to its formation and remedies for breach. They will also gain an understanding of the fundamental principles of the law of torts, including the meaning of a tort and an awareness of the most common civil law problems and the principles, law and remedies available to solve them. The unit will discuss the way private legal obligations and rights may arise and how disputes may be determined.
Areas of potential civil law issues considered will include:
1. Family matters;
7. Consumer issues.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Appreciate the scope, nature and content of civil law in the Australian legal system;
2. Apply the principles of the civil law to identify appropriate causes of action and remedies; and
3. Identify appropriate dispute resolution options for a variety of civil law problems.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2017
- Semester 2, 2016
- Semester 2, 2015
2 - 3 hours per week
6602 Legal Systems or equivalent
Basic understanding of the Australian legal system.
- 247JA Associate Degree of Justice Studies
- 107JA Associate Degree of Social Science in Justice Studies
- 986AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 987AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Journalism
- 988AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 989AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Public Relations
- 798AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce
- 125JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies
- 216JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 217JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 218JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 219JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 799AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 802AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Management
- 804AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 762HG Bachelor of Commerce
- 111JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Arts
- 248HG Bachelor of Justice Studies
- 248JA Bachelor of Justice Studies
- 249JA Bachelor of Justice Studies/Bachelor of Forensic Studies
- 327JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Arts
- 949AA Bachelor of Social Science in Justice Studies
- 195JA Bachelor of Social Science in Justice Studies/Bachelor of Forensic Studies
- 151JA Bachelor of Social and Community Studies/Bachelor of Social Science in Justice Studies
- 200JA Diploma of Justice Studies