|Level:||Undergraduate Third Year Level|
|HECS Bands:||2, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 1 DR Bilquis ARA (Ph: +61 2 62068526 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 1 DR Bilquis ARA (Ph: +61 2 62068526 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (185210) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182323) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165730) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (154039) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (146145) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit introduces students to the mechanisms and characteristics of the major categories of disease. The study begins at the cellular level with examination of cellular adaptations, reversible cell injury and cell death. This is followed by examination of local and systemic responses to cell and tissue injury. Genetic factors in disease as well as neoplasia will also be considered. The unit concludes with discussion of examples of diseases of specific organs/organ systems to illustrate how fundamental cellular and tissue responses to pathologic stimuli affect these specialised organs or organ systems.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the mechanisms and processes underlying major groups of disease;
2. Apply this knowledge in the analysis of specific diseases discussed in the unit; and
3. Think and write logically, critically and independently.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 1, 2018
Five hours per week.
6532 Human Physiology and the Lifecycle OR 6530 Biochemistry.
This unit is not open to students who have passed 6519 Pathbiology.
- 365AE Bachelor of Applied Science in Human Biology
- 264JA Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- 115JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Science
- 660AA Bachelor of Medical Science
- 131JA Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 994AA Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Journalism
- NPSC01 Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Laws
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science