Molecular and Cellular Biology (8375.3)
|Level:||Undergraduate Second Year Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2018 Semester 2 DR Katie COHEN (Ph: +61 2 62012360 ) ON-CAMPUS 2019 Semester 2 DR Katie COHEN (Ph: +61 2 62012360 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (166329) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (151745) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (140447) - View
To locate a Unit Outline for a Unit prior to 2015 click here.
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit will introduce concepts and techniques that are commonly used in the study and manipulation of DNA and RNA. The theoretical focus will be on the chemistry of nucleic acids, gene structure and transcription, through to the manipulation of nucleic acids for gene cloning and DNA sequencing. This knowledge is intended to support learning in other biomedical science, environmental science and forensic units taken within your degree, as well as provide technical skill. The practical component will enhance these concepts by providing students with small projects where they apply molecular skills (for example polymerase chain reaction) to help solve scientific problems encountered in either research environments and/or professional settings.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Apply the theoretical basis of molecular biology with proficiency to laboratory practice;
2. Evaluate the relative appropriateness of analytical molecular approaches to analysis/diagnosis and laboratory research; and
3. Apply skills in solving biological/ biomedical problems via the evaluation of molecular data.
One two-hour lecture plus one three-hour laboratory/tutorial per week.
6530 Biochemistry OR 10223 Genetics and Genomics
- 142HG Bachelor of Applied Science in Forensic Studies
- 142JA Bachelor of Applied Science in Forensic Studies
- 365AE Bachelor of Applied Science in Human Biology
- 264JA Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- 762HG Bachelor of Commerce
- 115JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Science
- 791AA Bachelor of Environmental Science
- 194JA Bachelor of Forensic Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 248HG Bachelor of Justice Studies
- 249JA Bachelor of Justice Studies/Bachelor of Forensic Studies
- 660AA Bachelor of Medical Science
- 131JA Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science
- 158JA Bachelor of Public Health
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 994AA Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Journalism
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science
- 195JA Bachelor of Social Science in Justice Studies/Bachelor of Forensic Studies
- MJ0132 Major in Biology 1
- MJ0133 Major in Biology 2
- MJ0194 Major in Environmental Genetics
- MJ0043 Major in Forensic Biology
- MJ0045 Major in Genetic Counselling
- MJ0046 Major in Genetics
- MJ0094 Major in Pre-Pharmacy (Restricted)
- MN0009 Minor in Biology 1
- MN0010 Minor in Biology 2
- MN0080 Minor in Molecular Biology and Genetics