Introduction to Professional Communication (8122.3)
|Level:||Undergraduate First Year Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Communication|
This unit is no longer offered. Information may be available for Units in the following years:
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2009 End Date: 31/12/2010
- Version 2 - Start Date: 01/01/2011 End Date: 31/12/2012
- Version 3 - Start Date: 01/01/2013 End Date: 31/01/2013
The unit introduces students to the multidisciplinary approach of marketing communication. The basic principles and interrelationship of marketing, public relations and advertising are the focus of this unit - with particular attention paid to current trends in marketing communication. This focus is considered within the broader context of markets, audiences, publics, and cultures, as well as theories of communication and persuasion. To assist your learning process, any discussion of theory is fully supported by marketing communication examples.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. demonstrate a solid understanding of basic communication models and theory as applied to marketing communication, public relations and advertising;
2. appreciate the various roles of marketing communication in contemporary society;
3. demonstrate a preparatory knowledge of key trends within the field of professional communication;
4. demonstrate an understanding of the initial principles and practice of primary and secondary research;
5. have developed their written and oral communication skills.
3 hours per week.