Professional Communication Practice (7837.4)
|Level:||Undergraduate First Year Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Communication|
This unit is no longer offered. Information may be available for Units in the following years:
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2008 End Date: 31/12/2008
- Version 2 - Start Date: 01/01/2009 End Date: 31/12/2010
- Version 3 - Start Date: 01/01/2011 End Date: 31/12/2012
- Version 4 - Start Date: 01/01/2013 End Date: 31/01/2013
This unit examines integrated communication with emphasis on the interplay of public relations and advertising in the private, public and not-for-profit sectors. Key topics include the nature of target audiences, persuasive appeals, social trends and impacts of technology. Practical aspects of professional communication agency operations will be considered. Students will practise analysis of communication issues, current affairs and persuasive messages and gain basic skills in the writing of public relations materials and advertising copy as well as extend their research skills.
1. Demonstrate critical understanding of the roles of public relations, advertising and integrated communication in different sectors.
2. Analyse target audiences and differentiate between appropriate appeals.
3. Analyse and explain public relations and advertising messages.
4. Explain the activities of professional communication agencies.
5. Demonstrate basic skills in writing for advertising and public relations purposes.
3 hrs per week.