Industrial Relations in Sport (7140.3)
|Level:||Undergraduate Second Year Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Sport and Exercise Science|
This unit is no longer offered. Information may be available for Units in the following years:
- Version 2 - Start Date: 01/01/2007 End Date: 31/12/2008
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2006 End Date: 31/12/2006
- Version 3 - Start Date: 01/01/2009 End Date: 30/06/2013
This subject is designed to provide insight into, and understanding of, the historical development of player associations and labour unions in professional sport. It will explore international and domestic trends in the player/management relationship, highlight significant legal precedents in regard to labour issues in sport, and examine various examples of sports labour agreement.
1. The importance of player unions and associations in Australian sport
2. How enterprise bargaining agreements are developed for the sporting environment;
3. The structure and implications of other industrial relations issues in foreign countries and how they affect Australian sport
Two hour lecture and one hour tutorial per week.