Constitutional Law (7022.4)
|Level:||Undergraduate Third Year Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||School of Law & Justice|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2017 Semester 1 DR Trevor O RYAN (Ph: +61 2 62015771 ) ON-CAMPUS 2018 Semester 1 DR Trevor O RYAN (Ph: +61 2 62015771 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (167066) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (154765) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (145853) - View
To locate a Unit Outline for a Unit prior to 2015 click here.
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit examines the impact of the Commonwealth Constitution on the way in which Australia operates. It examines the Commonwealth/State relationship, the constitutional significance of political institutions, the influence of the constitution on federal governance, and the impact of the constitution on individuals.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the legal foundations of Australian public institutions and the impact of the Constitution on private and commercial life;
2. Show awareness that federation involves a constant sense of friction between the Commonwealth and the States;
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the role of the High Court in the governance of Australia and how the Commonwealth works within the constitutional limitations to achieve its goals;
4. Identify the different strands in a constitutional law case and to see how the law interacts with political and social issues;
5. Analyse complex legal arguments and reasoning;
6. Find a constitutional law basis on which to support a piece of legislation; and
7. Compose and express complex legal arguments.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2017
- Semester 1, 2016
- Semester 1, 2015
3 hours per week.
Completion of Legal Systems or equivalent and enrolment in the LLB program.
- 995AA Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication / Bachelor of Laws
- 944AA Bachelor of Applied Economics/Bachelor of Laws
- 821AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 238JA Bachelor of Australian Politics and Public Policy/Bachelor of Laws
- 239JA Bachelor of Building and Construction Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 808AA Bachelor of Business Informatics/Bachelor of Laws
- 810AA Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws
- 127JA Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 225JA Bachelor of Communication in Advertising/Bachelor of Laws
- 226JA Bachelor of Communication in Journalism/Bachelor of Laws
- 227JA Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs/Bachelor of Laws
- 228JA Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations/Bachelor of Laws
- 194JA Bachelor of Forensic Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 240JA Bachelor of Human Resource Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 996AA Bachelor of Journalism / Bachelor of Laws
- 794AA Bachelor of Laws
- 829AA Bachelor of Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 149JA Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Laws
- 997AA Bachelor of Public Relations / Bachelor of Laws
- 833AA Bachelor of Science in Psychology/Bachelor of Laws
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 241JA Bachelor of Social Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 837AA Bachelor of Sports Media/Bachelor of Laws