Information Technology for the Workplace (6587.6)
|Level:||Undergraduate First Year Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education, Science, Technology & Maths|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Maths & Technology|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2018, ONLINE-EXM, BRUCE (181733) - View
- Winter Term, 2018, ONLINE-EXM, BRUCE (183371) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ONLINE-EXM, BRUCE (183314) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ONLINE-EXM, BRUCE (174760) - View
- Winter Term, 2017, ONLINE, BRUCE (166107) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ONLINE, BRUCE (165780) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ONLINE, BRUCE (150904) - View
- Winter Term, 2016, ONLINE, BRUCE (152585) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ONLINE, BRUCE (154199) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ONLINE, BRUCE (147309) - View
- Winter Term, 2015, ONLINE, BRUCE (147311) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ONLINE, BRUCE (147307) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit provides a gentle introduction to the usage of modern information and communications technology in the workplace. Through specific examples, taken from real-world problems, the unit explores how Information and Communications Technology (ICT) can enable service-oriented aspects in different domains. This involves an understanding of basics of how computer systems and network systems work, a contextualization of the provision and receiving of ICT-enabled services, the use of system and application software including desktop processing software, an understanding of aspects of computer security and computer administration, the use of Web 2.0 technology, an understanding of concepts of mobile computing and communications technology, importance of different open source and proprietary IT solutions, and knowing the benefits of cloud computing based application software for workplace. This unit will be co-taught with unit 8520 Information Technology for the Workplace G.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a sound understanding of, and have gained hands-on experience in, how computer systems work and how they connect to the network at the workplace and the internet;
2. Demonstrate an understanding of the day-to-day aspects of computer security;
3. Use application software, including desktop processing software, (For e.g.Office Productivity Software Suite);
4. Set up a website and to use Web 2.0 technology (blogs, wiki, file/data sharing);
5. Show an understanding of concepts on contemporary mobile computing and communication;
6. Computer administration tasks;
7. Demonstrate an understanding of the difference between proprietary and open source IT solutions; and
8. Recognise the benefits of different cloud computing application software for workplace.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2017
- Winter Term, 2017
- Semester 1, 2017
- Semester 2, 2016
- Winter Term, 2016
- Semester 1, 2016
- Semester 2, 2015
- Winter Term, 2015
- Semester 1, 2015
3 hours per week.
Basic working knowledge of how to use a computer