Introduction to Statistics (6540.4)
|Level:||Undergraduate First Year Level|
|HECS Bands:||2, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education, Science, Technology & Maths|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Maths & Technology|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (181697) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (183272) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (174784) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165939) - View
- Winter Term, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (152505) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (154798) - View
- Winter Term, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (141225) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (145907) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit introduces students to statistical techniques in a wide range of fields, with a concentration on the biological, health and social sciences. The focus of the unit is the collection, description and analysis of data with an emphasis on exploratory and graphical methods. Students are introduced to the statistical package SPSS. Topics include surveys and experiments; tables and graphs; measures of location and dispersion; basic probability; the scientific method; estimation; hypothesis testing; linear regression modelling; linear correlation.
1. Understand the nature and consequences of natural variability in data;
2. Express a problem in statistical terms;
3. Summarise data graphically and statistically, either manually or using SPSS;
4. Estimate and test parameters in simple situations;
5. Model data by fitting straight lines; and
6. Understand basic statistical terminology in published material.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2017
- Winter Term, 2016
- Semester 1, 2016
- Winter Term, 2015
- Semester 1, 2015
4 hrs per week F2F.