Human Biochemistry (6518.5)
|Level:||Undergraduate Second Year Level|
|HECS Bands:||2, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2018 Semester 2 MRS Bilquis ARA (Ph: +61 2 62068526 ) ON-CAMPUS 2019 Semester 2 MRS Bilquis ARA (Ph: +61 2 62068526 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (166328) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (151744) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (140439) - View
To locate a Unit Outline for a Unit prior to 2015 click here.
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit provides a comprehensive look at cellular metabolism. It examines the synthesis and breakdown of biochemical molecules as fuels and building blocks for the human body to function while emphasizing recurring themes in biochemical mechanisms and regulation.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Be able to describe the role of energy in living cells, with particular reference to the concept of free energy and the role of ATP;
2. Be able to describe the major biochemical pathways used in humans, both to extract energy from the key nutrients and to synthesise new cellular components;
3. Understand the mechanisms of metabolic control and be able to integrate their knowledge from both biochemistry units to understand its role in homeostasis; and
4. Continue to develop the necessary skills for independent learning and use their biochemistry knowledge for solving simple biomedical problems.
Two one-hour lectures per week plus the equivalent of two-hours laboratory/tutorial per week. This includes five x three-hour laboratories and three x three-hour tutorials throughout the semester.
Chemistry 1B, Biochemistry.
- 142HG Bachelor of Applied Science in Forensic Studies
- 142JA Bachelor of Applied Science in Forensic Studies
- 365AE Bachelor of Applied Science in Human Biology
- 264JA Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- 762HG Bachelor of Commerce
- 115JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Science
- 194JA Bachelor of Forensic Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 686AA Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- 248HG Bachelor of Justice Studies
- 249JA Bachelor of Justice Studies/Bachelor of Forensic Studies
- 660AA Bachelor of Medical Science
- 131JA Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science
- 158JA Bachelor of Public Health
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 994AA Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Journalism
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science
- 195JA Bachelor of Social Science in Justice Studies/Bachelor of Forensic Studies
- 154JA Bachelor of Sport Coaching and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- 276JA Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- 771AA Master of Nutrition
- MJ0013 Major in Biological Chemistry
- MJ0132 Major in Biology 1
- MJ0133 Major in Biology 2
- MJ0136 Major in Chemistry
- MJ0043 Major in Forensic Biology
- MJ0045 Major in Genetic Counselling
- MJ0094 Major in Pre-Pharmacy (Restricted)
- MN0008 Minor in Biological Chemistry
- MN0009 Minor in Biology 1
- MN0010 Minor in Biology 2