Concepts in Biology (483.7)
|Level:||Undergraduate First Year Level|
|HECS Bands:||2, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2018 Semester 1 DR Valerie CARON (Ph: +61 2 62015941 ) ON-CAMPUS 2018 Winter Term DR Valerie CARON (Ph: +61 2 62015941 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165736) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (154050) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (139227) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (145480) - View
To locate a Unit Outline for a Unit prior to 2015 click here.
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This subject introduces some of the basic processes exhibited by living organisms. It assumes no prior knowledge of biology and provides a self-contained introduction to biology as well as a foundation for later studies in areas related to the life sciences. The subject examines the characteristics of living organisms and the structure of cells; energy flow, nutrition and metabolism; information storage and gene expression; and reproduction and inheritance. Emphasis is placed on the relevance of these processes to human affairs.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Apply knowledge of basic concepts in the areas of cellular function, metabolism, genetics and evolution to interpret biological phenomena;
2. Collect, record, analyse and interpret biological data related to these concepts and communicate these interpretations both in writing and orally; and
3. Design and conduct experiments which examine some of these concepts.
1 hour lecture, 1 hour tutorial and 2 hour practical per week
- MJ0008 Major in Applied Ecology
- MJ0132 Major in Biology 1
- MJ0133 Major in Biology 2
- MJ0192 Major in Coastal Marine Science
- MJ0036 Major in Ecological Conservation
- MJ0194 Major in Environmental Genetics
- MJ0043 Major in Forensic Biology
- MJ0050 Major in Human Biology: From Cells to Organism
- MJ0060 Major in Integrated Environmental Management
- MN0009 Minor in Biology 1
- MN0010 Minor in Biology 2
- MN0164 Minor in Conservation Science
- MN0028 Minor in Ecology
- MN0128 Minor in Environmental Science (Restricted)
- MN0042 Minor in Human Biology