Chemistry 1b (1517.7)
|Level:||Undergraduate First Year Level|
|HECS Bands:||2, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education, Science, Technology & Maths|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2017 Semester 2 DR Karen ALTAMORE (Ph: +61 2 62068525 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your Unit's Moodle site.
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (166411) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (161008) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (140846) - View
To locate a Unit Outline for a Unit prior to 2015 click here.
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit continues from Chemistry 1A (1516) with the development of basic chemical concepts that prepare students for various specialist subjects in second and third year. Physical Chemistry topics covered include thermodynamics, reaction kinetics and advanced redox. Organic Chemistry topics are also introduced including the chemistry of carbon, carbon bonds, hydrocarbons, organic functional groups, their nomenclature and general reactions, stereochemistry and chirality of organic compounds and biologically important organic molecules such as carbohydrates, amino acids and proteins. Lectures on these topics are closely integrated with the laboratory/tutorial program.
This unit is co taught with unit 6485 Chemistry 1B G.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate good laboratory practice when working with chemicals either individually or in cooperation with others;
2. Set up simple experiments that demonstrate their understanding of some of the important basic chemical principles; and
3. Identify and represent chemical structures, as well as predict chemical behaviour, based on the topics covered including thermodynamics, reaction kinetics, redox reactions, organic functional groups, reaction mechanisms and stereochemistry.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2017
- Semester 2, 2016
1 hour lecture, 1 hour tutorial, and 2 hour practical per week.
1516 Chemistry 1A.
Basic chemistry (As covered in Chemistry 1A)