Chemistry 1b (1517.8)
|Level:||Undergraduate First Year Level|
|HECS Bands:||2, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2018 Semester 2 DR Karen ALTAMORE (Ph: +61 2 62068525 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (166411) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (161008) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (140846) - View
To locate a Unit Outline for a Unit prior to 2015 click here.
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit continues from Chemistry 1A (1516) with the development of basic chemical concepts that prepare students for various specialist subjects in second and third year. Physical Chemistry topics covered include thermodynamics, reaction kinetics and advanced redox. Organic Chemistry topics are also introduced including the chemistry of carbon, carbon bonds, hydrocarbons, organic functional groups, their nomenclature and general reactions, stereochemistry and chirality of organic compounds and biologically important organic molecules such as carbohydrates, amino acids and proteins. Lectures on these topics are closely integrated with the laboratory/tutorial program.
This unit is co taught with unit 6485 Chemistry 1B G.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate good laboratory practice when working with chemicals either individually or in cooperation with others;
2. Set up simple experiments that demonstrate their understanding of some of the important basic chemical principles; and
3. Identify and represent chemical structures, as well as predict chemical behaviour, based on the topics covered including thermodynamics, reaction kinetics, redox reactions, organic functional groups, reaction mechanisms and stereochemistry.
1 hour lecture, 1 hour tutorial, and 2 hour practical per week.
1516 Chemistry 1A.
Basic chemistry (As covered in Chemistry 1A)
- 142HG Bachelor of Applied Science in Forensic Studies
- 142JA Bachelor of Applied Science in Forensic Studies
- 365AE Bachelor of Applied Science in Human Biology
- 264JA Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- 762HG Bachelor of Commerce
- 954AA Bachelor of Cultural Heritage Conservation
- 203JA Bachelor of Education
- 115JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Science
- 205JA Bachelor of Educational Studies
- 265JA Bachelor of Environmental Health
- 791AA Bachelor of Environmental Science
- 194JA Bachelor of Forensic Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 317JA Bachelor of Health Science
- 686AA Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- 248HG Bachelor of Justice Studies
- 249JA Bachelor of Justice Studies/Bachelor of Forensic Studies
- 660AA Bachelor of Medical Science
- 131JA Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science
- 250JA Bachelor of Pharmacy
- 158JA Bachelor of Public Health
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 994AA Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Journalism
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science
- 195JA Bachelor of Social Science in Justice Studies/Bachelor of Forensic Studies
- 154JA Bachelor of Sport Coaching and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- 276JA Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- MJ0178 Major in Analytical Chemistry
- MJ0013 Major in Biological Chemistry
- MJ0132 Major in Biology 1
- MJ0136 Major in Chemistry
- MJ0139 Major in Conservation Practice (Restricted)
- MJ0301 Major in Earth Science (21cp)
- MJ0179 Major in Environmental Chemistry
- MJ0042 Major in Forensic Chemistry
- MJ0045 Major in Genetic Counselling
- MJ0046 Major in Genetics
- MJ0175 Major in Pharmaceutical Science
- MJ0094 Major in Pre-Pharmacy (Restricted)
- MN0008 Minor in Biological Chemistry
- MN0017 Minor in Chemistry
- MN0164 Minor in Conservation Science