Clinical Physiotherapy 2 (11537.1)
|Level:||Level 4 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Physiotherapy|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Physio Non Standard Period 1 DR Irmina NAHON (Ph: +61 2 62012161 ) ON-CAMPUS
This unit involves clinical placement which will give students the opportunity to build on their previous clinical experience, and continue to learn and demonstrate competency in the generic skills and attributes of physiotherapy professionals as well as the specific clinical skills across the core areas of physiotherapy in managing clients across the lifespan in a range of environments and settings. Students will apply the theory, understanding and skills of the past years study to the clinical practice of physiotherapy. Students will be placed in clinical environments, including but not limited to public, private, acute care, rehabilitation or community health care settings. Students will be moving towards more independent clinical practice, while still under close supervision.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate consistent professional behaviour, including understanding of patients' rights, good teamwork and commitment to learning;
2. Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, in the clinical context demonstrating consolidating skills in clinical communication;
3. Perform a simple clinical assessment using appropriate and valid tools with developing independence;
4. Analyse assessment findings to identify the patient's main problem in context of current research, and to set basic treatment goals; begin to acknowledge secondary problems amenable to physiotherapy;
5. Select and apply effective treatment based on patient goals based on the patient's main problem; begin to consider appropriate interventions for secondary problems;
6. Demonstrate consolidating skills in the ability to reflect 'in practice' and 'on practice' and reflect on the learning journey;
7. Identify and minimise risks in the healthcare context; and
8. Begin to think critically and demonstrate consolidating insight into decisions in health care systems from an ethical, resource, and scientific perspective.
Clinical placement in a health care setting - 187.5 hours.
Must have passed 72 credit points in the Bachelor of Physiotherapy course, including the following units:
11541 Applied Physiotherapy Skills AND
8983 Neurological Interventions 2 AND
11539 Physiotherapy Across the Lifespan
All physiotherapy skills and theory taught in 1-3rd year.