Law of Public Governance (11290.1)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||School of Law & Justice|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Benedict SHEEHY (Ph: +61 2 62015770 ) ON-CAMPUS
The unit explores the law of public governance (from to the delivery of services and the recognition of entitlements to the regulation of markets) in contemporary Australia. It offers an understanding of government as shaping the private sector (e.g. through consumer protection and investment frameworks) and as accountable under law in provision of services and recognition of entitlements.
This unit may be co-taught with a PG version of the unit.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify and explain governance of the state's delivery of services and recognition of entitlements in terms of legal systems, principles and processes;
2. Analyse the nature of the state in shaping society and the economy through regulation;
3. Analyse and categorise issues in key debates about the nature of public governance in contemporary Australian society; and
4. Demonstrate proficiency in research, analysis and communication skills relating to the nature of law, society and government.
One 2 hour lecture and one 1 hour seminar (featuring problem-based learning and interactive workshop) on campus per week.
Students must have passed 36 credit points of study including one of the following: 11251 Foundations of Law and Justice OR 11220 Business Law.
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGSC03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGSC01 Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARSC02 Bachelor of Communication and Media/ Bachelor of Laws
- NPSC02 Bachelor of Forensic Studies/ Bachelor of Laws
- SCB101 Bachelor of Laws
- SCAR03 Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Design
- SCSC02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Laws
- SCSC01 Bachelor of Science in Psychology/ Bachelor of Laws
- NPSC01 Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Laws