Cultures and Diversity (11129.1)
|Level:||Introductory Unit Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 1 DR Annie MCCARTHY (Ph: +61 2 62015719 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 1 DR Annie MCCARTHY (Ph: +61 2 62015719 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184523) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit explores international cultural diversity as a key influence on contemporary global issues. It examines the cultural underpinnings of perceptions, values and norms across different cultures, and introduce students to different methods for analysing and understanding this diversity. The unit will examine concepts of 'culture' and 'cultural identity'; different approaches to the observation and description of culture; and introduce students to important concepts and techniques for the analysis of cultural diversity.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Interrogate and analyse claims about cultural diversity and cultural identity;
2. Articulate an understanding of concepts of culture, and methods for the observation, description, and analysis of culture; and
3. Analyse diverse cultural influences on key contemporary global issues.
Three hours of 1.5 hour lecture and 1.5 hour tutorial on-campus per week.
8671 Cultures and Diversity.
- ARB002 Bachelor of Arts (Culture and Heritage)
- ARB005 Bachelor of Arts (Global Studies)
- 912AA Bachelor of Arts in Architecture
- 793AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies
- 992AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 818AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Commerce
- 221JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 222JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 223JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 224JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 280JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management
- 369JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Journalism
- 821AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 822AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Management
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 357JA Bachelor of Building and Construction Management
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- 206JA Bachelor of Design
- 215JA Bachelor of Heritage, Museums and Conservation
- 288JA Bachelor of Industrial Design
- 289JA Bachelor of Interior Architecture
- 320JA Bachelor of Journalism
- 290JA Bachelor of Landscape Design
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts
- 984AA Bachelor of Writing
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management