Indigenous Ways of Knowing (11126.1)
|Level:||Intermediate Unit Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 1 MS Samia GOUDIE (Ph: +61 2 62012611 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 1 MS Samia GOUDIE (Ph: +61 2 62012611 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184521) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit investigates different ways of knowing and constructing the past and the present by Indigenous Australians and non-indigenous Australians. By analysing case studies and examples, issues of remembering, oral history and deep time will be explored, with a focus on how non-indigenous forms of recording history have profoundly impacted on Indigenous Australians. The unit explores Indigenous ontologies and epistemologies, including Indigenous notions of time and how the past is experienced and remembered. This unit will provide students with a greater understanding of Indigenous worldviews, and of how the disciplines of history, archaeology and anthropology have regarded and disregarded Indigenous ways of knowing in the recent past.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Critically reflect on different meanings and constructs of time, the present and the past;
2. Discuss and explain Indigenous ways of knowing; and
3. Analyse and articulate different ways of constructing and understanding the past including through Indigenous and non-indigenous ontologies and epistemologies.
One 1 hour lecture and one 2 hour tutorial on-campus per week.
- ARB002 Bachelor of Arts (Culture and Heritage)
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 327JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Arts
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management