Health Across the Lifespan: Chronic and Complex Care (10199.1)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Nursing|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Nursing Period 1 MRS Catherine MCGRORY (Ph: +61 2 62015124 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Nursing Period 1 MRS Catherine MCGRORY (Ph: +61 2 62015124 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Nursing Period 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (191900) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit develops students' capability in the provision of care and support for culturally and developmentally diverse people, across the lifespan, living with chronic and complex conditions. Chronic conditions account for approximately 80% of the total burden of disease and injury in Australia. The unit engages students with a person centred approach to planning, implementing and evaluating support and care for people living with a chronic health condition who are treated by multiple care providers across multiple settings. Students will critically engage with a continuum of care coordination including principles of self- management to, focused care coordination for people with complex, unstable and comorbid conditions during hospitalisation.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Articulate health promotion and primary care in the context of chronic and complex care;
2. Identify key self-management principles and strategies;
3. Discuss and practice motivational interviewing skills;
4. Critically analyse care coordination and self- management in the context of the risk of acute hospitalisation;
5. Demonstrate understanding of intensive (focused) care coordination for people with complex, unstable and comorbid conditions during hospitalisation, including early detection and secondary prevention strategies; and
6. Critically reflect on practice in the context of person and care centred care that is evidence informed and framed by communication, integration, resources and collaboration within a multi-disciplinary team.
3 hours per week, consisting of 2 hour Interactive Workshop and 1 hour online Pre-interactive preparation.
10198 Health Across the Lifespan: Adult Acute Health Issues OR 9049 Nursing Caring and Inquiry: Foundational
Must be enrolled in 364JA Bachelor of Nursing or 365JA Bachelor of Nursing Advanced. Must be enrolled in 10207 Integrating Nursing Concepts 5 (Capstone 2) OR 9047 Learning for Professional Practice 5.
9048 Nursing Caring and Inquiry: Complexity