Working with Collections (10153.2)
|Level:||Undergraduate First Year Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 2 MR Riley POST (Ph: ) ONLINE 2019 Semester 2 MR Riley POST (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 2 MR Riley POST (Ph: ) ONLINE 2020 Semester 2 MR Riley POST (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2018, ONLINE, BRUCE (178777) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (178778) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (165153) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (163108) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is an introduction to the diversity of cultural heritage collections and the techniques used to describe, manage, use, and explore them. Collections document our lives, memories, and culture. Creating and maintaining collections is a core activity of most galleries, libraries, archives, and museums. Students will identify key issues affecting the development of collections, and explore how digital technologies can be used to improve public access and engagement. Through a series of practical examples, students will review systems and standards used in the documentation and display of collections, and gain experience in the use of digital tools to capture and enrich collection data.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Discuss the social, political, technological, and institutional contexts within which collections are created and described;
2. Explain the technical requirements for describing and managing collections;
3. Recognise how digital tools can be used to describe and enrich collections; and
4. Identify opportunities for enhancing the discovery and use of collections.
Seminar/workshop of 3 hours per week.
- 986AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 987AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Journalism
- 988AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 989AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Public Relations
- 793AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies
- 798AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce
- 125JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies
- 216JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 217JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 218JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 219JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 799AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 802AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Management
- 804AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 955AA Bachelor of Cultural Heritage
- 215JA Bachelor of Heritage, Museums and Conservation