Specialist Major in Cloud Computing and IoT (SM0055.1)
Faculty of Science and Technology
Academic Program Area - Technology
Information for Current Students
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/07/2019 End Date: Current Version
The major in Cloud Computing and IoT provides an opportunity for the students to gain deep knowledge and specialist technical knowledge and practical skills in Cloud Computing and Internet of Things (IoT), which are two pervasive technologies that are both already part of our life. Their adoption and use are expected to be more and more pervasive, making them important components of the Future Internet. In this major, the graduates will be able to learn the benefits of Cloud and Internet of Things (IoT), and the integration of the Cloud and IoT paradigms. They will have a sound understanding of Cloud and IoT individually and combine. More precisely, students will understand their main properties, features, underlying technologies, open issues, application development life-cycle, challenges, and research issues, and learning how to work with the massive volumes of data generated in the digital economy. This major also provides opportunities for an intensive, extended work-integrated learning experience; and the capstone project allows graduates to practice both their Cloud and IoT skills. This major allows graduates to seek roles as Cloud Computing architects and administrators, IoT engineers, developers, and designers.
1. Basic knowledge and skills in ICT (Information and Communication Technology) basic numeracy and literacy skills for Beginning (1) level units in this unit set, and 2. Completion of some of the Beginning (1) level ITS Core Major units for Intermediate (2) and Advanced (3) level units in this unit set.
- Required - Must pass 15 credit points as follows
Restricted Choice - Must pass 9 credit points from the following
- any units offered by the School of Information Technology & Systems, with at least 3 credit points at Advanced (3) level, including the following units:
- 7899 - Information Sciences Internship - 3 cp, Level 3
- 10152 - Information Sciences Internship (Extended) - 3 cp, Level 3
- 11271 - Law, Innovation and Technologies - 3 cp, Level A
- 11480 - Advances in Information Sciences and Engineering - 3 cp, Level A
- 1. Restricted Choice units should be chosen to either meet the prerequisites of the units in the Major or to complement Major units for a better learning outcome.
- 2. Exclusive to this Major only, students may also choose unit 11271 Law, Innovation & Technologies (offered by Faculty of Business, Government & Law) as one of the Restricted Choices units.