Major in English (Secondary Teaching) (MJ0246.1)
Faculty of Arts and Design
School of Arts and Communications
Information for Current Students
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/07/2013 End Date: Current Version
This major provides students enrolled in the Bachelor of Education who are intending to teach English, with a qualification that meets the conditions of the NSW Institute of Teachers subject content requirements (2011). It has a strong emphasis on literary studies and creative writing, and includes units particular orientated towards the teaching of creative writing and literary student for and to young people.
Please note; to meet NSW Institute of Teacher requirements, students may select only ONE level 1 unit from units outside the required units i.e. either 8904 or 8623 or 8147.
- Required - Must pass 9 credit points as follows
Restricted Choice - 9 credit points as follows
- Note: To meet BOSTES NSW/Institute of Teachers' requirements, students may only select ONE Level 1 unit from the Restricted Choice units.
Part A - Must pass between 3 and 9 credit points from the following
- 8143 - Literary Studies: Poetry/Criticism - 3 cp, Level 3*
- 8144 - Literary Studies: The Novel - 3 cp, Level 2*
- 8623 - Literary Studies: True Stories - 3 cp, Level 1*
- 8904 - Literary Studies: Creative Reading - 3 cp, Level 1*
- 9169 - Literary Studies: Literature and Government - 3 cp, Level 3*
- 9174 - Literary Studies: Reading the City - 3 cp, Level 3*
- Part B - May do up to 6 credit points from the following
Please Note: Units marked with an * are no longer active, however students who have completed these units may still count them towards completion of this major or minor.