Diploma of Communication (Extended) - 952AA
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline(s):||School of Arts and Communications|
|English Language Requirements:||Academic IELTS of 5.5 or equivalent|
Your way to an exciting career in communications
Are you an international student interested in:
- public relations
- media and arts production?
Our Diploma of Communication is the perfect path to a variety of exciting careers. If you need more help with your English or any other study skills, the extended Diploma is right for you.
Study our Diploma of Communication (extended) at UC and you will:
- be supported in building language and academic skills for further studies
- get direct entry to the 2nd year of a number of bachelor degrees
- develop a good understanding of key cultural areas
- develop the professional expertise to enter and confidently contribute to the communication industries.
On finishing your Diploma of Communication you can directly enter 2nd year of a variety of bachelor degrees:
- Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- Bachelor of Arts.
Important to know
- It will take 3 terms or 1 year of full time study. You can take up to 9 terms, if needed.
- If English is your 2nd language you will need IELTS 5.5 or TOEFL equivalent.
Students are required to meet English Language requirements and general admission requirements to the University of Canberra College.
Additional Admission Requirements
Information on admission closing dates can be found here.
Notes for International Applicants
Restricted admission through UCC.
There are previous versions of this course. As a current student you will complete the requirements for the course that were in place when you commenced. Click on the relevant link below to view the requirements of your version of the course.
- Version5 - Start Date: 01/01/2019 End Date: Current Version
- Version4 - Start Date: 01/01/2016 End Date: 31/12/2018
- Version3 - Start Date: 01/01/2013 End Date: 31/12/2015
|Diploma of Communication||Dip Comm|
UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce
Standard Full Time, College Term 1 Commencing
- Print this Study Pattern
UCC Trimester 1
- Computing (general) (UCC) (7790) - 3 cp, Level 1
- Mathematics (general) (UCC) (7791) - 3 cp, Level 1
- Academic Orientation - all students must also complete the UC College unit Academic Orientation (not for credit).- 3 cp
- UCC English Unit- 3 cp
UCC Trimester 2
- Foundations of Research and Creative Inquiry (9437) - 3 cp, Level 1
- Introduction to Communication (9023) - 3 cp, Level 1
- Restricted Choice Unit- 3 cp
- UCC English Unit- 3 cp
UCC Trimester 3
- Digital Media Literacy (9022) - 3 cp, Level 1
- Three Restricted Choice Units- 9 cp
- UCC Trimester 1
- Standard Full Time, College Term 1 Commencing
Please refer to the tab to view Course Requirements, check unit details and select Restricted Choice Units for the course. Please note not all units are offered in each teaching period.
Unit Delivery ModesDelivery modes for units in this degree are yet to be confirmed. Please contact us for more details.
|Course Objectives||Graduate Qualities|
|Developing skills in written oral and visual communication, and personal presentation skills||Communication
High order oral, written, visual and digital communication skills. Understanding communication with both the local and global context
|Develop the ability to locate, evaluate analyse and present relevant information||Analysis and enquiry
Identify, understand and analyse information and content relevant to professional practice. Apply concepts and methodologies to communication tasks.
|Develop a basic understanding of the theoretical principles and practical application of communication in society, and of the nature and functions of the communication professions||Problem solving (Attribute 4)
a) identify problems and analyse the main features of problems relevant to their professional field
|Develop analytical and critical thinking skills and apply them to professional practice and academic enquiry||Problem solving (Attribute 4)
b) apply appropriate problem solving processes, arguments, critical and creative thinking
|Develop skills in group work, including team leader and team member roles||Working with others (Attribute 5)
a) work with others as part of a group
b) take responsibility for carrying out agreed tasks
c) be aware of the different roles and responsibilities of group members
|Understand the social and political contexts in which the communication professions are practised||Professional ethics (Attribute 7)
a) act responsibly, ethically and with integrity in the context of their profession and their obligations to society
b) appreciate the social and cultural context of their profession.
Standard three terms full-time or equivalent. Maximum nine terms.
- 2019->UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce-Internal
- 2012->UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce-Internal
- 2013->UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce-Internal
- 2014->UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce-Internal
- 2015->UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce-Internal
- 2016->UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce-Internal
- 2017->UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce-Internal
- 2018->UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce-Internal
View the number of student enrolments for this course for the previous full year. Please note that course numbers are indicative only and in no way reflect individual class sizes.