Graduate Diploma in Professional Writing - 903AA
|Location:||UC - Canberra, Bruce|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline(s):||School of Arts and Communications|
|Lowest Selection Rank:||N/A|
|English Language Requirements:||Academic IELTS of 6.5 or equivalent, with no band score below 6.0|
Become a professional wordsmith
If you’re ready to flex your literary dexterity (oh, what a word), then this course will help develop your advanced creative writing skills, enabling you to apply them to a range of roles (editor, professional writer, journalist) across a variety of industries.
You’ll learn to professionally edit both fiction and non-fiction, perfect the art of writing for different audiences and be able to prepare short and long narratives for the screen and the digital media and publishing sectors. Write on!
Study a Graduate Diploma in Professional Writing at UC and you will:
- advance your skills in writing and editing both fiction and non-fiction
- write short and long narratives for screen, digital media and publishing
- perfect the art of writing for different audiences
- take your language and grammar skills to a new level.
A range of career opportunities exist for Graduate Diploma in Professional Writing graduates, including as a:
- professional writer
Course specific information
Students must meet normal University of Canberra requirements for admission to a Graduate Diploma course. They must also provide a portfolio of creative writing, be familiar with ideas about creative writing and narrative and be able to make excellent use of written English.
Applicants must meet normal University of Canberra requirements for admission to a graduate diploma course.
Additional Admission Requirements
Applicants are required to provide a portfolio of creative writing (3-4 pieces, in any genre or form). Applications will be judged on this portfolio in addition to other admission requirements.
Familiarity with ideas about creative writing and narrative along with excellent use of written English.
Information on admission closing dates can be found here.
- Graduate Diploma in Professional Writing (24 credit points)
- Required - Must pass 6 credit points as follows
Restricted Choice - Must pass 18 credit points from the following
- 3481 - Writing for Young People G - 3 cp, Level G
- 7540 - Advanced Editing G - 3 cp, Level G
- 7541 - Introduction to Editing G - 3 cp, Level G
- 7649 - Study of Language G - 3 cp, Level G
- 7652 - English Grammar G - 3 cp, Level G
- 8153 - Introduction to Screenwriting G - 3 cp, Level G
- 8157 - Writing Short Narratives G - 3 cp, Level G
- 8751 - Literary Studies: Literature for 0-18 G - 3 cp, Level G
- 8753 - Literary Studies: The Novel G - 3 cp, Level G
- 8754 - Literary Studies: True Stories G - 3 cp, Level G
- 8906 - Screenwriting G - 3 cp, Level G
|Graduate Diploma in Professional Writing||GradDip ProfWrtg|
|Graduate Certificate in Professional Writing (Editing)|
Please refer to the tab to view Course Requirements, check unit details and select Restricted Choice Units for the course. Please note not all units are offered in each teaching period.
Unit Delivery Modes
The University offers a wide range of delivery options to help you balance study with other commitments. Units within this degree may be available to be studied in the following delivery modes:
|Intensive:||The unit is delivered on-campus and face to face in concentrated time blocks.|
|On Campus:||The unit is delivered on-campus and face to face, supplemented with online content. Most classes are run on weekdays and during business hours.|
To find out more about delivery modes that are available for units in this course please visit
2 semesters full-time or equivalent: maximum 8 semesters.
Related Courses (Double Degrees, Nested Courses and Alternative Exits)
The Graduate Certificate course in Professional Writing (Editing) is subsumable into the Graduate Diploma in Professional Writing course.
|Year||CSP Places Available||Eligible for Student
Income Support (Centrelink)
- 2019->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2012->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2013->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2014->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2015->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2016->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2017->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
- 2018->UC - Canberra, Bruce-Internal
View the number of student enrolments for this course for the previous full year. Please note that course numbers are indicative only and in no way reflect individual class sizes.