Unit: Curriculum, Pedagogy and Practice 1 (English) (8840)
|Level: 2||Credit Points: 3||Contribution Band: 4, 1, 4, 4, 1|
Availability in 2012: Not offered (Also available in: 2013, 2014)
SyllabusThis unit provides a basis for professional decision-making in classroom practice in the nominated curriculum area teaching years 7-12. The focus of the minimum 15 days of supervised professional experience is to grow as a responsible teacher with an emphasis on planning and student interaction.
The unit will investigate key principles for ethics and conduct in teaching, relevant legislative, administrative and organisational frameworks, and approaches to working with mentors and supervisors.
This unit may be co-taught with Secondary Teaching Studies G1 in the nominated teaching area.
CorequisiteEnrolment in a Teaching course.
PrerequisiteCompletion of 12 credit points.
Assumed knowledge: Minimum of 2 content units in the KLA related to the STS 1 discipline being studied.
Restrictions: This unit is not open to students who have passed any other Curriculum Pedagogy and Practice 1 unit.
Class ContactUp to 20 hours per semester plus Professional Experience.
Learning OutcomesOn completion of this unit students will be able to:
1. demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the concepts, substance and structure of the content and teaching strategies of the teaching area;
2. organise content into an effective learning and teaching sequence;
3. plan lesson sequences using knowledge of student learning, content and effective teaching strategies;
4. demonstrate knowledge of a range of resources, including ICT, that engage students in their learning.
- 111JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Arts
Unit Level Key:
- 1 - Offered in first year of course curriculum
- 2 - Offered in second year of course curriculum
- 3 - Offered in third year of course curriculum
- 4 - Offered in fourth year of course curriculum
- 5 - Offered in fifth year of course curriculum
- G - Offered in graduate course curriculums
- PG - Offered in postgraduate course curriculums
- R - Offered in research course curriculums
- H - Offered in honours course curriculums