Unit: Japanese 2 (part B) (8439)
|Level: 2||Credit Points: 3||Contribution Band: 1|
Availability in 2012: Not offered (Also available in: 2013)
Class ContactFour hours per week consisting of 4 tutorials.
Learning OutcomesBy the end of the unit students will be familiar with most of the fundamental grammatical patterns; be able to use more complex structures in speaking, reading and writing; have the sociolinguistic competence to select culturally appropriate modes of expression and through this develop understanding in Japanese culture and society; be able to recognise and use a further 70 Kanji. In addition, students will have developed essential generic skills and attributes such as time management and self-motivated learning strategies including the ability to apply themselves to tasks consistently over extended periods of time.
SyllabusStudents will further develop their knowledge of the grammatical structures in Japanese language, so that by the end of this semester they will have encountered most of the major grammatical patterns of Japanese. Emphasis will be placed on the use of appropriate modes of expression, in particular the use of honorific language, in free and guided conversational and comprehension activities. Situations that will be covered include making asking a favour politely, gossiping, working at a restaurant, conversation in a business context. For the study of the writing system, students will read and write texts of increasing lengths. The unit takes a comprehensive approach to developing the skills of speaking, listening, writing and reading.
PrerequisiteJapanese 2 (part A) or equivalent competence in the language.
- 854AA Undergraduate Diploma in Languages (Beginning)
- 682AB Undergraduate Diploma in Languages (Continuing)
Referenced Unit Sets
- MJ0071 Major in Japanese (Beginning)
- MJ0069 Major in Japanese (Continuing)
- MN0060 Minor in Japanese (Beginning)
- MN0061 Minor in Japanese (Continuing)
Unit Level Key:
- 1 - Offered in first year of course curriculum
- 2 - Offered in second year of course curriculum
- 3 - Offered in third year of course curriculum
- 4 - Offered in fourth year of course curriculum
- 5 - Offered in fifth year of course curriculum
- G - Offered in graduate course curriculums
- PG - Offered in postgraduate course curriculums
- R - Offered in research course curriculums
- H - Offered in honours course curriculums