Unit: Advanced Legal Research and Writing (Honours) (8358)
|Level: 4||Credit Points: 3||Contribution Band: 3|
Availability in 2012: Not offered (Also available in: 2013, 2014, 2015)
Class ContactThree hours per week.
CorequisiteEnrolment in the Bachelor of Laws or double degree with Laws.
PrerequisiteLegal Systems or equivalent.
SyllabusCo-taught with Advanced Legal Research and Writing, this unit is designed to enhance the traditional and electronic legal research skills of participants and to place them within an advanced theoretical framework, and to give participants a firm grounding in legal writing. Participants will learn about empirical research methodology, how to complete ethic approval applications, and how to write an honours research proposal.
Learning OutcomesOn successful completion of this unit, participants will have demonstrated an enhanced capacity for legal research and a greater awareness of, and capacity for, precision, accuracy and clarity in legal writing. Students will learn how to draft an Honours research proposal, how to complete an Ethics application and empirical research methodologies. Participants will understand the historical development of the dissemination of the law; sources of law in selected overseas jurisdictions and how they are accessed and researched; the nature and relevance of government documentary sources (including extrinsic materials) for legal research and ways of obtaining such sources; and the elements of legal drafting through writing and presenting legal agreements. By end of subject, student will have identified a thesis question/topic, a supervisor and will have written their Honours research proposal.
- 995AA Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication / Bachelor of Laws
- 944AA Bachelor of Applied Economics/Bachelor of Laws
- 821AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 808AA Bachelor of Business Informatics/Bachelor of Laws
- 810AA Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws
- 127JA Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 194JA Bachelor of Forensic Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 996AA Bachelor of Journalism / Bachelor of Laws
- 794AA Bachelor of Laws
- 829AA Bachelor of Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 149JA Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Laws
- 997AA Bachelor of Public Relations / Bachelor of Laws
- 833AA Bachelor of Science in Psychology/Bachelor of Laws
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 837AA Bachelor of Sports Media/Bachelor of Laws
Referenced Unit Sets
- MJ0083 Major in Legal Practice (Restricted)
Unit Level Key:
- 1 - Offered in first year of course curriculum
- 2 - Offered in second year of course curriculum
- 3 - Offered in third year of course curriculum
- 4 - Offered in fourth year of course curriculum
- 5 - Offered in fifth year of course curriculum
- G - Offered in graduate course curriculums
- PG - Offered in postgraduate course curriculums
- R - Offered in research course curriculums
- H - Offered in honours course curriculums